Google
 

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Bears Say "No Deal"... At Least For Now!

The Chicago Bears have said "No Deal" to the Washington Redskins in a potential trade to send Lance Briggs, and the Bear's 1st round draft pick to the Redskins for their number 6 overall pick.

In my opinion, I really think this deal will get done before draft day. The Bears absolutely NEED to trade Briggs, who has already threatened to sit out the first 10 games of the season (playing the last 6 so he can qualify for Free Agency). If the Bears do nothing, they risk having their star Linebacker sitting on the sidelines.

I feel the Washington deal was a pretty good one, and I know a lot of critics agree. The Bears probably feel they cannot just give in to Briggs for the first deal that comes along. I am sure they feel this would be a sign of weakness and open the door to any player who was unhappy with their contract. By the Bears playing "hard to get", they are making a point that threats such as the one Briggs laid out when he asked to be traded will not be tolerated.

All and all, I have a feeling come April 28th, Lance Briggs will still be a Redskin. I just hope this deal is still available so they get the best possible value for Briggs. If they wait too long, the offer could drop and the Bears could find themselves in a VERY tough situation come training camp.

No comments: